Foodie Friday: Shrimp, Bean and Avocado Salad
Dale and I are knee-deep in our season of celebrations. You would think December would be the main event, but Christmas (and Jess’ birthday!) simply signal the start of a marathon of good times. After marking Dale’s birthday a couple of weeks ago, we celebrated our third anniversary yesterday with a homemade meal.
For the main course, we made this fresh Shrimp, Bean and Avocado Salad (adapted from a recipe in Wine, Food & Friends by Karen MacNeil.) Slightly indulgent due to its summery feel, this recipe was such a departure from what we’ve been eating lately. Plus, it took about fifteen minutes to make.
Shrimp, Bean and Avocado Salad
Makes two servings
- 3 cups watercress, arugula, or spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chives, minced
- Split greens and beans between two large bowls.
- Grill the shrimp. Skewers work well if using a traditional grill, but they also cook well on a grill appliance (like a George Foreman).
- Pour lemon juice into a small bowl. Pour oil in a steady stream into the juice while constantly whisking the mixture. Once combined, stir in salt and pepper.
- Place cooked shrimp on top of greens and pour the dressing over each salad. Sprinkle chives over each salad. Enjoy!
With all of these happy events lately, I somehow lost…er….misplaced my real camera, so I’m pitch-hitting with my phone’s camera. It’s not the best,. Fingers crossed that I’ll find the real deal soon!