Happy Mother’s Day! While I’m not technically a mother yet, it seems fitting that Jess recently challenged me to make a dish of a food I’ve been craving while pregnant. Plus, I’m getting really close to this motherhood thing…about six weeks to go! So let’s celebrate motherhood with a look into the strange cravings of pregnancy.
Oh, the cravings I’ve had over the last eight months. I could share many posts about the food I’ve been longing for since I’ve been pregnant: breakfast sandwiches, anything with marshmallows, ice water (yup), citrus fruit, stone fruit, popscicles, Cadbury cream eggs…the list goes on. The most consistent craving I’ve had, however, has been spicy food. I went through a couple months where I wanted fresh jalapenos on everything. I’ve moved past that intense longing, but a nice spicy dish is still always at the top of my list.
To satiate this craving, I recently adapted a favorite recipe for Cheese and Shrimp-Stuffed Poblanos from Cooking Light. Oh, another craving I’ve had just in the last couple of weeks is for tacos. Naturally, a spicy/taco pairing had to happen. So I took what I loved about this Poblano recipe and made it into tacos!
Cheesy Shrimp and Poblano Tacos
Inspired by Cheese and Shrimp-Stuffed Poblanos from Cooking Light
Makes 4 small tacos
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 tsp flour
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 3 oz. cheese, grated: a blend of monterey jack and cheddar
- 4 oz. small, shelled and deveined pre-cooked shrimp
- 1/3 cup roasted red bell pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, skin removed, and sliced
- Heat olive oil in a medium pan on medium-high heat
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Turn down heat to medium
- Add ground red pepper and flour, stir to combine
- Add half and half and cheese, stirring constantly to melt the cheese. Continue until mixture has thickened a bit.
- Remove from heat. Stir in shrimp, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime.
- Divide shrimp mixture among four tortillas. Garnish with slices of poblanos.
This recipe is quick, fresh, and cheesy! It’s hard for me to tell if a poblano is going to be spicy or not; if you are going for extra heat, I’d suggest adding some roasted jalapenos, too.
P.S. This topic is a lot more pleasant than the flip-side: foods I’ve detested since being pregnant. While it was short-lived, my first-trimester was hellish due to an aversion to anything squash or pumpkin-related…which of course coincided with fall and Halloween. Even the sight of a decorative squash nauseated me. I’ll be surprised if squash and I are friends again come next fall. Ulgch.
May 19, 2013 7:28 pm
I’m not pregnant but I crave this from time to time! What a great recipe.