Breakfast for breakfast, breakfast for lunch, breakfast for dinner. I’m in favor of breakfast no matter what the hour!
Today, I want to share a family favorite that I used to call “Popeye Pancakes,” but that I later learned are “Pop-UP Pancakes” or “German Pancakes.” I’ve tweaked this recipe to include less butter and fewer egg yolks, but all of the puffy fun of the original. This makes about two big servings, but to make more, simply double the recipe and cooking time.
Lindsey’s “Popeye Pancakes”
1 Tbsp. butter
3 egg whites (or about 1/2 cup Egg Beaters Egg Whites)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with cooking spray
- Melt butter and pour into the baking dish, coating the bottom and sides with the hot butter
- Combine the next four ingredients
- Sift flour into wet ingredients and stir until combined
- Pour wet mixture into the melted butter baking dish
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until puffy edges are golden, but not brown
Top with lemon juice and powdered sugar, or fresh fruit. Enjoy any time of the day!
Leave a Reply