I could (and sometimes do) eat breakfast for every meal in a day. I just love everything about breakfast: how it can be sweet or savory, or even both at the same time. Plus, how can you go wrong with ingredients like bacon, eggs, milk and grains?
Reveling in this love of breakfast, I was recently on an oatmeal kick and found myself wanting more. Sure, I love a good brown-sugar oatmeal or a blueberry-almond oatmeal as much as the next person. However, it occurred to me that oatmeal could be so much more than a carrier for sweetness and fruit. Plus, the whole grain aspect makes it healthy; probably better for me than the bread I typically stock.
My solution was to take my beloved steel-cut oats and go savory with them. I was wary that this might be one of those experiments that ends up in the trash, but I went with it anyway. I wanted a rich, salty, and meaty breakfast. The result was spectacular, and I encourage you to try it.
Savory Oatmeal with Egg and Mushrooms
- Cook steel-cut oats to you desired consistency (I like mine a bit al dente)
- Meanwhile, add a teaspoon of butter or oil to a sauté pan, add mushrooms, and cook on medium until soft
- Poach an egg
- Once all is ready, simply spoon oatmeal into a bowl, add the mushrooms, and then the egg
- Finish with salt, pepper, and a touch of grated parmesan or sharp cheddar
- Dig in and relish in the delight of your first savory oatmeal!