I love breakfast foods, especially the ones that are usually reserved for the weekends. However, when Dale gave me the idea of making French toast this morning, I dismissed him. “French toast is for the weekend,” I said. But then I remembered how little time French toast takes to make. And I saw the pears sitting on our counter…
So, here I am, with a delicious breakfast to celebrate Friday!
French Toast & Berry Pears
- Bread (I used 2 thick slices of leftover French bread)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- Dashes of your favorite spices; I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom
Fruit topping ingredients:
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1.5 tsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 scoop of berry jam
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Beat your eggs and mix in the milk, vanilla and spices. Start soaking your bread slices. Flip after a few minutes so the other side can soak the goodness up.
- Heat your butter in a small saucepan until melted. Add your brown sugar and still until it bubbles. Add the pear, jam and lemon juice. Cook until pears are soft, and remove from heat.
- Heat a bit of butter in a frying pan and cook the bread until golden brown.
- To serve, scoop the fruit over the bread. I added a dollop of Greek yogurt on top…along with a touch of maple syrup.
- Enjoy as you would on a weekend!